Monday, October 17, 2005

Work - Some Reflections

This last weekend I worked, and I had many different experiences, but I came away with a better understanding of why I do this job. Some of these insights I would like to share.

Miracles happen, but not too many physical changes occur, or not that I have seen. However, the healing that does happen is a healing of the spirit. It is often about an acceptance of the reality of the situation one finds oneself in, and a relaxation into that and a letting go. Suffering is part of life, and we were never promised a life without it, but we can ask God to be with us in this time and to support us. This may make it easier, but it will not take the suffering away. These were some of the thoughts I tried to express during one of the visits, or where I came to afterwards!

Many of the patients expected that I was a volunteer, and commented on how good I was to come. I set them straight by pointing out that I am an employee of the hospital. One even tried to give me my bus fare!

However they were all grateful for the service I provided - not just the fact that I visited, but for the interactions I had with them. In helping them I was given a feeling of satisfaction that what I had done, in sometimes difficult circumstances was appreciated and helpful. This was expressed by families and staff some of whom I did not know before, which was very gratifying.

At one of the last visits I made, a patient really quizzed me as to why I did this job and how long I had been doing it. It made me think that it was not enough to have empathy with the patients and those I aim to support, I had to get some feeling of positive worth from these interactions to make the job worthwhile for me. I had forgotten how much that had happened before, as I have been focusing on how hard I had been finding dealing with other people's problems in the midst of my own. However, I realized that it could be very satisfying to do what I did, and I have found it so many times in the past, and I am sure I can in the future

No comments: